art deco

Monday, January 30, 2017

Delicious and Nutritious: Pumpkin Biscuits

I found this recipe when I was looking for a quick bread I could whip up to go with dinner. I made a recipe of Pumpkin Biscuits that I found, and I loved them. When I went to make them again; however, I thought I could make them a little better for you so there was no guilt making them as a delicious dinner side dish. My family loves biscuits, but they are so loaded with butter and then doused with more fat or sugar when you go to eat them too.

This recipe is fantastic. My entire family enjoyed them, and the recipe substitutions did not effect the taste or texture of the final product. This does still contain fat and sugar, but they are sweetened with honey, there is significantly less butter, and they use pumpkin and coconut oil as additional fat sources.

Just look at that pumpkin-cinnamon deliciousness!


For this recipe I started with my buttermilk substitution (see my tested and approved recipe substitutions). You can use actual buttermilk in this recipe, but that is something I never buy because it is so easy to substitute in any baking recipe. I added some lemon juice to my milk and let it sit while I combined the dry ingredients to really get a good buttermilk forming.


In a medium bowl I combined my wheat and white flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.

Then I cubed my butter before cutting it into the dry ingredients. You want your butter to be very solid. For this you can pull it straight from the refrigerator. I like mine to sit out for 15 minutes or so before using it so it is a little more workable, but room temperature butter will not work properly.



Add the cubed butter to the dry ingredients and the solid coconut oil then cut them into the dry ingredients. For this I like to use my handheld potato masher, but a fork works well too, or even just your hands.
Work until the mixture is course crumbs. No large butter or coconut oil chunks left in it.

By this time your buttermilk substitute should be ready to go. Mix the pumpkin puree and honey with the buttermilk, then add that entire mixture into the crumb mixture. Fold it in until the two mixtures just combine to form a dough.


Turn the dough out on a floured surface to knead. This kneading process is to layer the dough. Fold the dough in half over itself and then press it out to fold again. Do this several times and roll into a 1/2" thickness.


Use a biscuit cutter, cookie cutter, or the top rim of a cup to cut circles from the biscuit dough. Place 1" apart on a lined or greased baking pan.


Bake in an oven preheated to 425 degrees for 16-18 minutes. While baking, mix up a delicious cinnamon butter to spread on the hot biscuits.

Cinnamon Butter: 3 Tablespoons softened butter with 3 teaspoons of cinnamon.


Spread butter on the top of each biscuit straight from the oven. Serve them warm with some honey to drizzle on top. Enjoy!


Nutritious Pumpkin Biscuits 
Yields: 8-10 biscuits           Bake: 425 degrees for 16-18 minutes

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup white flour
  • 3/4 cup wheat flour
  • 2-1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1/3 cup buttermilk
  • 2 Tbl honey
  • 1/4 cup butter, cold
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil, cold and solid
Cinnamon butter:
  • 3 Tbl butter, softened
  • 2 tsp ground cinnamon 

No comments:

Post a Comment