art deco

Monday, January 23, 2017

Photo Coasters


I made these as a gift for my husband because he has taken a recent interest in photography. It is a great way to use and display some of his beautiful photos. I love these because they can be so personalized. They make a great gift and a beautiful accessory in your home.  They also are functional and inexpensive to make!

I decided to make a set of 6 coasters, but you can start with however many you'd like. First, I selected the photos I wanted to use and ordered them in a 4x6 print. I then went and found these cute hexagon white wall tiles at home depot. These little guys only cost .47 cents a piece! I bought 6 of them, and was ready start my project.

I started by using a scrap piece of paper to make a stencil for cutting all of the pictures to the right size. I traced the tile onto the paper and cut it out. I then used this stencil to cut all 6 pictures to the same size.

I used my spray adhesive to initially adhere the pictures onto the top of the tiles. Once they were centered on there and securely attached, I whipped out the Mod Podge. 

I did two coats of Mod Podge, letting it dry completely between each coat. The second coat was a good thick coat. 
I finished it with a final thin coat of polyurethane to really protect them from moisture. 

I let these dry completely and finished them off with a soft felt bottom to keep the tiles from scratching my table or anything else. 
I bought two 8x11 pieces of this oatmeal colored felt. Each piece can fit 5 tiles worth of felt. I laid the tiles out on the felt and traced the exact shape of the bottom. I cut each one and measured it to the bottom. 

At this point, I used my favorite glue- E6000 to adhere the felt to the bottom of the tiles. (If you have not used this glue, you need to try it. It is my go-to for so many projects.)
Once the felt is attached to the bottom, you can flip the tile right side up and trim any pieces of felt that hang over the edge. Once that is dry, you are done!

No comments:

Post a Comment